The account is being run by campaign staff, who will be posting content regularly as the campaign does on other social media such as Instagram, Facebook, X and Threads, campaign advisers said.
“The campaign will continue meeting voters where they are, innovating to create content that will resonate with critical audiences and the core constituencies that make up the president’s diverse and broad coalition of voters,” advisers said, explaining the move.
They added that no decision has been made on whether any of the campaign’s “principals” would join TikTok in the future.
Addressing concerns over the security risks associated with the platform, Biden campaign advisers also said they “are taking advanced safety precautions around our devices and incorporating a sophisticated security protocol to ensure security.”
Last year, sources told NBC News that the president’s 2024 campaign wouldn’t join TikTok after the Biden administration called it a national security threat. They said that they would instead rely on influencers and surrogates to maintain a presence promoting Biden on the platform.
In late 2022, Biden signed legislation that included a limited ban that prohibits federal employees from using the app on government devices.
The campaign posted its first video during Sunday’s Super Bowl, which showed Biden being asked to play a this-or-that-type game. The president was asked for example which team he was rooting for, but he said he’s a Philadelphia Eagles fan.
Asked to pick between Jason Kelce and Travis Kelce, he chose “Mama Kelce” and said he’s heard that she’s known to make delicious chocolate chip cookies.
At the end, he was asked to choose between himself and former President Donald Trump.
“Are you kidding?” he said. “Biden.”