Sunday, May 19, 2024

Hamas says it will not make further compromises for a ceasefire

Share

An Israeli tank in front of the Gaza Strip. Hamas says it will not make any further concessions beyond those included in the ceasefire proposal that was accepted earlier this week. Photo: Tsafrir Abayov / AP / NTB

Of NTB | 05/09/2024 01:43:56

Policy: Hamas stated on Monday that it had agreed to a ceasefire proposal from Egypt and Qatar, but this was on the contrary rejected by Israel, which has since stepped up its attacks on Rafah and entered.

Izzar El-Reshiq of Hamas’s Politburo told Reuters that the group would not go further than it did in the ceasefire proposal it previously approved, which would also have led to the release of Israeli hostages in the Gaza Strip and Palestinian women and children in Israel.

– Israel is not serious when it comes to concluding an agreement, and they are using the negotiations as a cover to invade Rafah and occupy the border crossing, says El-Reshiq.

Representatives of Hamas, Israel, the United States and Qatar are in Cairo for negotiations on a new agreement. Israel did not immediately comment on El-Reshiq’s actions.

The United States said Tuesday that Hamas had adjusted its cease-fire proposal and that the changes could lead to the parties resolving remaining issues.

Later, US National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan said that the parties are not that far apart.

– We believe there is a road map towards an agreement. The two sides are close enough that they should do what they can to make a deal, Sullivan said.

The US is trying to pressure Israel not to carry out an announced large-scale ground invasion of Rafah, where more than 1 million Palestinians seek refuge. The Americans have withheld bomb deliveries, and President Joe Biden warned on Wednesday that arms shipments will be stopped if Israel carries out the action.

(© NTB)

Categories

© Jaun News English