14.9 C
New York
Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Cork City to face St Pat’s in the FAI Cup semi-final at home

CORK CITY will face St Patrick’s Athletic at Turner’s Cross in the semi-final of the Sports Direct FAI Cup.

The other side of the draw will see Galway United meet Bohemians at Eamonn Deacy Park.

These games are scheduled to be played on the weekend ending October 8th and the final is scheduled for November 12th 2023 at the AVIVA Stadium.

This follows the draw that was made on Wednesday afternoon by FAI President Gerry McAnaney and Shane Robinson, who works as the FAI’s Assistant Director of Football.

Cork City will go into the game looking to reach their first FAI Cup final since 2018. The Rebel last faced St Patrick’s Athletic in the competition in 2021 and The Saints progressed to the quarter finals by winning a penalty shoot-out at Turner’s Cross.

Chris Forrester made it 1-0 to St Pats from the spot in the 89th minute and Barry Coffey equalised at the Shed End in the fifth minute of injury time.

This season has seen the club renew their love affair with the competition after years of crashing out in the early rounds.

2023 is actually the first time since 2018 that City has won more than one game in the FAI Cup.

City got this far in the competition by defeating Wexford FC last Friday evening at Turner’s Cross.

The Rebel Army were 1-0 down through an Aaron Dobbs goal that was scored on the stroke of half time.

Malik Dijksteel equalised during a spell that saw Wexford pushed deep into their own half. 

Ruairi Keating got the winner by poking the ball in from a corner in the second minute of injury time.

City opened up their campaign with a 2-0 win over Treaty United and that was followed by a victory over Waterford at Turner’s Cross.

Galway United’s 4-0 hammering of Dundalk was the biggest result of the quarter finals, with former Cork City manager John Caulfield masterminding the upset at Eamonn Deacy Park.

Cork’s David Hurley played the full 90 minutes and he helped open the scoring by supplying the free-kick that Stephen Walsh turned in for the first goal.

The Ringmahon Rangers academy graduate then set up Edward McCarthy to double the home side’s advantage in front of a sold out home crowd.

Hurley capped off his performance by scoring a penalty to make it 4-0 to Galway United in the 39th minute.

Rob Slevin – who once lined out for Carrigaline United and Cork City – also played last Friday night for the Maroon Army.

The last home FAI Cup semi-final that was played at Turner’s Cross was a replay in 2018 and goals from Graham Cummins and Karl Sheppard helped the home side beat Bohemians 2-1.

Source link

Related Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest Articles