- Ming-Na Wen, who plays Fennec Shand in Star Wars, is eager to return and wants fans to start a petition for her character’s comeback.
- Fennec Shand will be returning in Star Wars: The Bad Batch season 3, but only as a voice actor for the animated show.
- The future of Fennec Shand in the live-action Star Wars universe is uncertain, as her absence in The Mandalorian season 3 suggests she may be written out. Fans should voice their support if they want to see her return.
Ming-Na Wen, who plays Fennec Shand in The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett, is eager to return to Star Wars. Introduced in The Mandalorian season 1 as an ex-Imperial, Ming-Na Wen’s Fennec Shand became a major figure in the so-called Mandoverse. She sided with Boba Fett, serving as his second in command as he established himself as a crime lord on Tatooine.
Speaking in an interview with Collider, Ming-Na Wen has openly admitted she’d love to return to Star Wars. “Start the petition, please,” she appealed. “You know, we just ended the strike, and I will be ready and excited to put on my three-layered leather outfit and be Fennec. I miss being her. Yes, very much. But right now, I’m just working on a cookbook and developing a couple of projects.” The clear implication is that Lucasfilm hasn’t yet gotten in touch with Wen, presumably meaning viewers can rule her out of The Mandalorian season 4.
How Does Fennec Shand Fit Into Star Wars’ Future (& Past)?
She’ll definitely return in Star Wars: The Bad Batch
Fennec Shand is confirmed to return in Star Wars: The Bad Batch season 3, which will give more of her backstory during the Dark Times of the Empire’s reign. Ming-Na Wen will reprize the role for this, but she’ll only be a voice-actor, because this is an animated show. Beyond this, Shand’s future is a lot more unclear.
The Book of Boba Fett set Shand up as Boba Fett’s second in command on Tatooine, but that particular live-action TV show met with poor critical and popular reception. Since then, both Boba and Fennec were notably absent in The Mandalorian season 3 – despite the fact the show took a random detour to Tatooine. Sadly, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see Lucasfilm pivot away from this plot, meaning both characters may well be effectively written out in the longer-term. Viewers who want to see Shand return really should make their views known, as Wen suggests.
- Release Date:
- Temuera Morrison, Ming-Na Wen, Pedro Pascal
- Sci-Fi, Fantasy
- Story By:
- Jon Favreau
- Jon Favreau, Noah Kloor, Dave Filoni
- Streaming Service(s):
- Star Wars
- Robert Rodriguez, Dave Filoni, Bryce Dallas Howard, Kevin Tancharoen, Steph Green
- Jon Favreau