26.4 C
New York
Thursday, August 11, 2022

Ukraine’s Zelenkyy announces mandatory evacuation of eastern Donetsk region – National

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said on Saturday his government was ordering the mandatory evacuation of people in the eastern Donetsk region, scene of fierce fighting with Russia.

In a late-night television address, Zelenskyy also said the hundreds of thousands of people still in combat zones in the larger Donbas region, which contains Donetsk as well as the neighboring Luhansk region, needed to leave.

Read more:

Canadian embassy in Kyiv still shuttered despite ‘reopening’ in May

“The more people leave (the) Donetsk region now, the fewer people the Russian army will have time to kill,” he said, adding that residents who left would be given compensation.

Separately, domestic Ukrainian media outlets quoted Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk as saying the evacuation needed to take place before winter begins since the region’s natural gas supplies had been destroyed.

Story continues below advertisement

Zelenskyy said hundreds of thousands of people were still living in areas of Donbas where fighting was fierce.

“Many refuse to leave but it still needs to be done,” the president said. “If you have the opportunity, please talk to those who still remain in the combat zones in Donbas. Please convince them that it is necessary to leave.”

Earlier on Saturday, Ukraine’s military said more than 100 Russian soldiers had been killed and seven tanks destroyed in fighting in the south on Friday, including the Kherson region that is the focus of Kyiv‘s counteroffensive in that part of the country and a key link in Moscow‘s supply lines.

Rail traffic to Kherson over the Dnipro River had been cut, the military’s southern command said, potentially further isolating Russian forces west of the river from supplies in occupied Crimea and the east.


Click to play video: 'Will Russia’s plan to withdraw from ISS spell the end for decades-long cooperation in space?'







Will Russia’s plan to withdraw from ISS spell the end for decades-long cooperation in space?


Will Russia’s plan to withdraw from ISS spell the end for decades-long cooperation in space?

South of the town of Bakhmut, which Russia has cited as a prime target in Donetsk, the Ukrainian military said Russian forces had been “partially successful” in establishing control over the settlement of Semyhirya by storming it from three directions.

Story continues below advertisement

“He established himself on the outskirts of the settlement,” the military’s evening report said, referring to Russian forces.

Defense and intelligence officials from Britain, which has been one of Ukraine’s staunchest allies since Moscow invaded its neighbor on Feb. 24, portrayed Russian forces as struggling to maintain momentum.

Ukraine has used Western-supplied long-range missile systems to badly damage three bridges across the Dnipro in recent weeks, cutting off Kherson city and – in the assessment of British defense officials – leaving Russia’s 49th Army highly vulnerable on the river’s west bank.

The Kherson region’s pro-Ukrainian governor, Dmytro Butriy, said fighting was continuing in many parts of the region, and that Berislav district, just northwest of the Kakhovka hydroelectric plant, was particularly hard hit.

Read more:

Red Cross requests prison access after shelling kills dozens of Ukrainian POWs

“In some villages, not a single home has been left intact, all infrastructure has been destroyed, people are living in cellars,” he wrote on Telegram.

Just to the north of Lysychansk, which Moscow’s forces captured in early July after weeks of fighting, Ukrainian partisans destroyed a railway junction box near the Russian-controlled town of Svatove on Friday night, making it harder for Moscow to transport ammunition to the front lines by train, Luhansk regional governor Serhiy Gaidai said in an online post.

Story continues below advertisement

Reuters could not independently verify the battlefield reports.

Officials from the Russian-appointed administration running the Kherson region earlier this week rejected Western and Ukrainian assessments of the situation.

On Friday the British ministry described the Russian government as “growing desperate,” having lost tens of thousands of soldiers in the war. British MI6 foreign intelligence agency chief Richard Moore added on Twitter that Russia is “running out of steam.”


Civilians, evacuated from the Donetsk region, arrive at Pokrovsk train station to be sent to safe zones, in Pokrovsk, Donetsk Oblast, Ukraine on July 27, 2022.


(Photo by Metin Aktas/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images)

Ukraine and Russia have traded accusations over a missile strike or explosion early on Friday that appeared to have killed dozens of Ukrainian prisoners of war in the front-line town of Olenivka, held by Moscow-backed separatists in eastern Donetsk.

Story continues below advertisement

Russia’s defense ministry on Saturday published a list of 50 Ukrainian prisoners of war killed and 73 wounded in what it said was a Ukrainian military strike with a U.S.-made High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS).

Ministry spokesman Lieutenant-General Igor Konashenkov said “all political, criminal and moral responsibility” rested with Zelenskyy, “his criminal regime and Washington who supports them.”

Ukraine’s armed forces denied responsibility, saying Russian artillery had targeted the prison to hide the mistreatment of those held there. Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said on Friday Russia had committed a war crime and called for international condemnation.

Read more:

Russia launches massive missile strikes amid Ukraine’s counterattacks

Reuters could not immediately verify the differing versions of events, but some of the deaths were confirmed by Reuters journalists who visited the prison.

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken expressed his condolences in a Friday phone call with Kuleba and said Washington was committed to “hold Russia accountable for atrocities,” the U.S. State Department said.

The United Nations is prepared to send experts to Olenivka to investigate if it obtains consent from both parties, U.N. spokesperson Farhan Haq said. The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said it was seeking access and had offered to help evacuate the wounded.

Story continues below advertisement

A charity linked to Ukraine’s Azov Regiment said on Telegram it was not immediately able to confirm or deny the authenticity of the Russian list of people killed and wounded.

Ukraine has accused Russia of atrocities against civilians and identified more than 10,000 possible war crimes. Russia denies targeting civilians and war crimes.

(Reporting by Reuters bureaus Writing by Jacob Gronholt-Pedersen and David Brunnstrom; Editing by Lincoln Feast, William Mallard, Frances Kerry and Jonathan Oatis)



Source link

Related Articles

Where is Cindy Jessup, the woman who ‘stole’ Olivia Newton-John’s first husband, now?

She was the young blonde babysitter blamed for the break-up of Olivia Newton-John’s first marriage after striking up a flirtation with the actress’s husband...

Man, woman killed in house fire near Sackville, N.B. – New Brunswick

Two people in New Brunswick died in a house fire in a rural community about eight kilometres east of Sackville. The New Brunswick RCMP said...

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

0FansLike
0FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe

Latest Articles

Where is Cindy Jessup, the woman who ‘stole’ Olivia Newton-John’s first husband, now?

She was the young blonde babysitter blamed for the break-up of Olivia Newton-John’s first marriage after striking up a flirtation with the actress’s husband...

Man, woman killed in house fire near Sackville, N.B. – New Brunswick

Two people in New Brunswick died in a house fire in a rural community about eight kilometres east of Sackville. The New Brunswick RCMP said...

Police rescue girl aged 8 whose inflatable boat was swept out to sea

Police on Thursday rescued an eight-year-old girl whose inflatable boat had been carried out to sea. The girl was paddling on the inflatable off...

3 players we can’t believe Jed Hoyer didn’t trade

CHICAGO, ILLINOIS – AUGUST 06: Starting pitcher Drew Smyly #11 of the Chicago Cubs. (Photo by Quinn Harris/Getty Images)The Chicago Cubs were expected to...