Russell Brand’s father-in-law had some words of warning for his daughter before marrying the comedian, according to reports.
Controversial podcaster Brand is married to Laura Gallacher, 36, who is now pregnant with their third child.
At the time, Laura was 19 and Brand was 30.
Laura’s dad is legendary golfer Bernard Gallacher, 74, who reportedly begged his daughter not to marry Brand.
It’s also said he was ‘delighted’ when his daughter and Brand split briefly earlier on in their relationship when Brand jetted off to Hollywood.
As reported by Mail Online, he had concerns about the couple’s age gap.
A friend told the publication at the time: ‘He begged her to end it.’
However, Laura reunited with Brand in 2015 after a chance encounter while taking a walk with a friend following the end of another romance.
Brand went on to propose to Laura in June 2016 and they wed the following summer.
They now share two young daughters, Mabel (born in 2016) and Peggy (born in 2018).
His marriage to Laura came after his very high-profile 14-month marriage to US pop star Katy Perry, which he ended via text message.
The resurfaced comments come as more women have spoken out with accusations of inappropriate behaviour from Brand.
Brand has denied all the allegations against him, saying any sexual acts were ‘consensual’, but admitted to being ‘promiscuous’ back in the day as he had a sex addiction.
One alleged victim says she was just 16 at the time Brand assaulted her, with the allegations coming to light following a lengthy investigation by Channel 4 and The Times, with a Dispatches special over the weekend describing them in harrowing detail.
Investigations are now underway at the BBC, Channel 4 and Banijay UK, which bought Endemol, the company commissioned by Channel 4 to produce the Big Brother spin-off shows Brand hosted, as they look into Brand’s behaviour while he was working on their programmes.
Additionally, the Metropolitan Police has received a report of an alleged sexual assault from 2003 in Soho, London.
Brand has not been seen in public since his sold-out show at Wembley on Saturday night (September 16), where he was met with cheers and a standing ovation from the crowd.
However, the rest of his tour will not be continuing, with venues postponing his upcoming shows.
And while Brand previously addressed the allegations against him on his YouTube channel, this platform has since taken another blow.
This morning, YouTube suspended Brand from monetising his video content for ‘violating Creator Responsibility policy’ after the ‘serious allegations.’
The Google-owned company said in a statement: ‘We have suspended monetisation on Russell Brand’s channel for violating our Creator Responsibility policy.
‘If a creator’s off-platform behaviour harms our users, employees or ecosystem, we take action to protect the community.’
The decision applies to all channels that may be owned or operated by the star, it added.
Got a story?
If you’ve got a celebrity story, video or pictures get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we’d love to hear from you.