Attorney General George Savvides confirmed on Tuesday that his service was reviewing the case details surrounding a 2012 fatal road accident, for which no one has been held accountable for over a decade.
Though reports have long-pointed to a political coverup behind the investigation, police has ardently denied such accusations, particularly after observers realised press bulletins surrounding the particular case had been removed from the police website.
The accident took place in the early hours of September 2, 2012 under the bridge on the Limassol-Nicosia highway towards Mouttayiaka, killing Andreas Loizou, who was 17 at the time.
It is believed that an unidentified-to-date woman attempted to overtake two motorbikes by driving in the opposite lane. She then cut off an incoming vehicle, which in an attempt to avoid her, swerved and crashed into Loizou’s motorbike.
The woman then fled the scene. Unconfirmed reports suggest she is the daughter of a political person.
In June earlier this year, Justice Minister Anna Procopiou said police were re-examining the case. During a House finance committee hearing on Tuesday, Savvides, who was presenting the legal service’s 2024 budget, was questioned over the matter.
He confirmed the report had reached his office two weeks ago, but said he could not specify ahead of time how long it would take to assess the case and prepare the necessary recommendations.
“I cannot know right now how long the colleague that is handling the case will take,” Savvides said. He added this is one of the more serious cases that is being assessed at the moment, as all criminal cases are.
“As soon as the witness evaluation is complete, the final decisions will be taken and we will announce the results.”
Savvides stressed “we cannot make public what the police recommendations are or what it includes in its reports, findings and witness statements. I believe you can understand why. We cannot make public what every witness says in every case.”